Audi has released the S5 Sportback Platinum Edition for Rs 81.57 lakh (ex-showroom, India) in anticipation of the impending festive season. While mechanically identical, this special edition model has certain additional features and is only available in limited quantities.
What’s new in Audi S5 Sportback Platinum Edition
The Platinum Edition Audi S5 Sportback costs Rs 5.83 lakh more than the ordinary S5 Sportback (Rs 75.74 lakh). Buyers may now obtain Matrix LED headlights with laser light technology, a black design package with black trim on the front grille and windowline, red brake callipers with the ‘S’ inscription, and LED sills with the ‘S’ logo projected on the ground for an additional fee.
- The exterior appearance of the S5 embodies the modern Audi design language, with large surfaces, sharp edges, and a thrilling dance of light and shadow.
- The striking shoulder line dynamically arches above the wheel housings.
- The large, pentagonal air inlets are partially filled with honeycomb grilles, and separate openings allow direct airflow into the wheel housings for improved aerodynamics. The Audi Black Styling Package adds a dark and sporty look to the car with black accents on the grille, Audi Rings, air intakes, and window frames.
- The exterior mirrors have aluminum-look housings, and the highly curved side sills stand out. The spoiler of the Audi S5 Sportback is built into the luggage compartment lid. LED rear lights are standard, as are dynamic turn signals.
- The design is defined by horizontal lines. The instrument panel layout is defined by a wide band of air vents, an exquisite air conditioning panel, and a huge decorative surface.
- The huge glass panoramic sunroof offers a spectacular view of the sky from within the vehicle.
- Electrically adjustable front sports seats with driver-side memory are standard, and Nappa Leather Upholstery is available for the seat coverings. The illuminated door sill strips, sport leather flat-bottom steering wheel with multifunction plus, and clasp on the tiptronic selector lever all feature the S logo with a red rhombus.
- The pedal caps and footrest are made of stainless steel, while the inlays are made of matt-brushed aluminium with additional options.
- 3-zone automatic air conditioning.
Features in Audi S5 Sportback
- The MMI system in the S5 Sportback provides cutting-edge control logic.
- The voice control function recognises inputs from everyday speech and has a sophisticated free-text search capability.
- Audi Virtual Cockpit Plus has a fully digital instrument cluster for the flexible and need-based display of driver-relevant information.
- Audi Virtual Cockpit Plus is an innovative, fully digital 31.24 cm instrument cluster in full HD quality that comes with three adjustable view modes: Sport, S Performance, and Dynamic.
- The infotainment system is modular, with MMI navigation and MMI touch, as well as a 25.65 cm monitor, at the top of the infotainment spectrum.
- The Audi Sound system, which includes a 6-channel amplifier, 10 speakers, including the centre speaker, and a subwoofer, delivers 180 watts of output.
About Engine and Transmission
Mechanically, the Platinum Edition is the same as the ordinary Audi S5 Sportback. This means it’s powered by a 3.0-litre V6 turbo-petrol engine producing 354hp and 500Nm and mated to an 8-speed torque converter automatic gearbox that transfers power to all four wheels using Audi’s Quattro all-wheel-drive system. The S5 Sportback has a 0-100kph pace of 4.8 seconds, according to Audi.
- For maximum economy and performance, the 3.0 TFSI V6 petrol engine employs turbocharging and a combination of direct and indirect injection.
- The engine produces 354 horsepower (260 kW) and 500 Nm of torque between 1,370 and 4,500 rpm.
- A sporty exhaust tone provides an appropriate soundtrack.
- The self-locking centre differential with quattro permanent all-wheel drive system sends power from the eight-speed tiptronic to all four wheels, and the clever S Sports suspension with damper adjustment adds to the Audi S5 Sportback’s sporty driving qualities.
In India, the Audi S5 Sportback currently has only one direct competitor: the BMW M340i, which costs Rs 71.50 lakh (ex-showroom, India).