- Kochi Water Metro, India’s first water metro project, was inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi during his recent visit to Kerala. The project, supported by the Kerala government and the German corporation KfW, will connect ten islands in and around Kochi with 78 electric boats and 38 ports in total.
- The Kochi Water Metro project features air-conditioned boats with large windows that provide a unique view of the backwaters, environmentally clean and electrically powered with Lithium Titanite Spinel batteries. It aims to provide cost-effective, secure, and eco-friendly travel options to commuters, allowing them to reach their destinations without getting stuck in traffic jams.
During his April 25 visit to Kerala, Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the first phase of India’s first Water Metro. Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan has described the Kochi Water Metro as a “dream project” for the state that will help the city’s growth and development.
Here’s everything you need to know about the Kochin Water Metro
- The metro project will begin with eight electric hybrid boats built by Cochin Shipyard Limited.
- A water metro will connect ten islands in and around Kochi.
- The dream project is supported by the Kerala government and the German corporation KfW.
- The KWM (Kochi Water Metro) project has 78 electric boats and 38 ports in total.
- The KWM service will begin in the first phase at the High Court-Vypin and Vyttila-Kakkanad terminals. Commuters will be able to reach Vypin Terminal from the High Court Terminal in less than 20 minutes, according to Kerala Chief Minister. Water Metro can take you to Kakkanad in 25 minutes from Vyttila.
- Kochi Water Metro ticket prices: A boat voyage costs a minimum of 20 rupees. Regular passengers can purchase weekly and monthly passes. The Kochi One Card can be used to travel on the Kochi Metro Rail and the Kochi Water Metro. Tickets can be purchased digitally via the Kochi One App.
- Lithium Titanite Spinel batteries will power the Kochi water metro.
- The water metro is said to be environmentally clean, electrically powered, and safe for those with disabilities.
- It will feature air-conditioned boats with large windows that provide a unique view of the backwaters.
- The Kochi Water Metro project will cost a total of 1,137 crore.
To improve ridership, the project seeks to introduce contemporary, energy-efficient, environmentally friendly, and safe boats with minimal wake and draught characteristics on a regular basis.
The cost-effective and secure travel in air-conditioned boats would allow people to go to their destinations without becoming stranded in traffic jams. Using the “Kochi 1” card, passengers can ride on both the Kochi metro and the water metro. They can also purchase tickets online.