Tata Motors Issues Statement on Tata Nexon EV Fire Incident Caused by Unauthorised Repairs

  • Tata Motors attributes the recent fire incident involving a Tata Nexon EV in Pune to an electrical malfunction resulting from unauthorized repairs performed on the vehicle’s headlamps at a non-Tata Motors workshop.

  • Tata Motors advises its customers to have their electric vehicles serviced or repaired only at authorized Tata Motors workshops to ensure the highest standards of safety and quality.


Following the release of a video showing a Tata Nexon EV catching fire in Pune earlier this week, Tata Motors issued an official statement based on an investigation into the incident. Tata Motors claimed that an unauthorised workshop performed repairs on the Nexon EV, resulting in a short circuit.

What Company said on Tata Nexon EV Catching Fire

On April 16, 2023, the incident occurred, and all occupants were reported safe. The video showed a Tata Nexon EV stranded in the middle of the street with significant damage to its front left quarter, while firefighters doused the fire with water.

According to the company, a headlamp repair on the said Nexon EV was performed improperly at an unauthorised workshop, resulting in a short circuit.

Tata Motors stated in a statement, “We understand that this vehicle recently underwent repairs, during which the left headlamps were replaced at an unauthorised workshop.” This resulted in a short and trapped heat over time. The unauthorised workshop’s fitment and repair process was flawed, resulting in an electrical malfunction in the headlamp area and the thermal incident. The affected area is limited to the area where repairs are being performed. We will continue to work with the customer to provide any assistance that is required.”

To avoid such mishaps, the carmaker also advised its customers to have their vehicles serviced or repaired only at authorized Tata Motors workshops.

Tata Nexon EV Catches Fire Video

This is not the first time an EV has caught fire

This is not, however, the first reported instance of a Nexon EV catching fire. Another incident of a Tata Nexon EV catching fire occurred in Vasai, Maharashtra, in June of last year. After the incident went viral on the internet, Tata Motors announced an investigation, and the central government launched its own investigation. More information can be found here.

Several such fires involving electric two-wheelers have already occurred, raising safety concerns. It is, however, uncommon with electric four-wheelers, with only the second reported instance of a mainstream EV catching fire in India.

Leave a Reply